
Okay, I'm most likely infringing on some copyrights here, but how else do I explain the incredibleness that is National Geographic? This picture (taken from http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0510/feature4) of a moray eel with red algae is part of an article entitled "Hawaii's Outer Kingdom" for NG's October issue! I was excited to go on their website and find an interactive video on the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands!
I decided to start reading NG every month this past spring, as my brain cells have been dwindling as of late. It took me half a year to visit their website, and was I ever surprised! Their site is one of the best I've ever seen on the internet! Tons of stuff to do, with great interactive options! In fact, I suggest you visit http://ngm.com/wildcamafrica right away to check out their Wildcam! You can view a livefeed, 24 hours a day, of Pete's Pond, a man-made watering hole created to repopulate the Northern Tuli Game Reserve in Botswana, Africa! I was just watching the feed, and even though it wasn't the optimum viewing time (4am) I still saw little bugs buzzing around, some waterfowl swimming, and could even hear the night-time crickets! Quite spine-tingling!
1 comment:
I started buying National Geographic about six years ago when I went to stay with one of my Dutch friends in Amsterdam.
His father was the director of Amsterdam's Artis Zoo and also one of the countries leading naturalists. One of the perks of his job was that he and his family lived in a huge, four story 18th century town house located on the zoo's premises. One of the curious things about the house was the sheer number of National Geographics in every room. There were copies in the kitchen, bedrooms, halls, landings, spare rooms and even in the bathrooms. There were al least forty years worth of magazines, including a whole load of other scientific mags too.
I remember him as a really cool guy, with a great job and a beautiful house. And also one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. So I decided that if the National Geographic was his favourite magazine, then it should be mine too!
And I've bought it ever since!
One of the great things about living in a zoo is that my friend had access to the zoo's enclosures and houses after closing time. A drink and a smoke followed by a private late-night visit to the reptile house? Or the aquariums? Wow...that's pretty cool stuff!
Post a Comment