Monday, April 24, 2006

The temple I fell in love with

Tenmangu, the biggest, flashiest, famousist Shinto shrine in Dazaifu, always gets all the attention. I'd heard of this little Buddhist temple that dotted the landscape off to the side, but hadn't gotten around to seeing it for almost the entire 3 years I've been here. Good thing I finally decided to check it out last week. It was love at first sight! Komyozenji was awash in a gorgeous light green glow, "shinryoku" or "new green" in English. I was unable to move for some time, mouth agape in awe of the amazing colors. My camera could never do the moment justice, but I tried for the sake of sharing it's beauty with everyone else! Komyozenji supposedly boasts one of Kyushu's top rock gardens, for it's utter "zen-ness." I don't particulary care what it's known for. I like the aura, the sounds of small breezes rustling the new leaves, the old wood, the raked gravel. I actually took all these pictures the second day. I couldn't get enough of the temple my first day, so I went back the very next day to breathe it in again! If it weren't for the fact that I actually have an apartment that I have to pay rent for, I'd probably just camp out at Komyozenji and never go home!
KMZT9




KMZT5


KMZT2

The rock garden in the front
KMZTrockgarden



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I really love ' Komyozenji' too. If you go this place in fall , you will see beautiful bright yellow and red carpet (leaves) in the garden. It'll make you cry.
Why don't we go together in fall?
Love,
Miho

Papigiulio said...

Wow thats a beautiful place. Nice pictures too :)

cath said...

I'm so glad you finally got there. I'm not into temples but that one is so nice. Great pics too!

obwegesser said...

Its so beautiful. I feel Wabi Sabi, too!