Thursday, August 21, 2008

a chimpanzee and his bulldog

Sunday, August 17
Sunday morning we were treated to a Birdcall breakfast in a gorgeous western-style A-frame dining room. It made me want to go home!
Bird Call Breakfast
the view outside
Bird Call B & B
Bird Call
After breakfast we left Birdcall in search of Cuddly Dominion. When I lived in Fukuoka I had seen a chimpanzee and a bulldog on a weekly animal program on TV. The chimpanzee was sent to the supermarket on his own to get groceries and the bulldog was his companion. Every week the chimpanzee and the bulldog set off on different adventures. Pan-kun, the chimpanzee, was often naughty or didn't do what he was supposed to, but James, the bulldog, was always patient with him. Now the duo are nationally famous and are even considered celebrities. Pan-kun is everybody's favorite, but I prefer James. Anyway, the duo permanently reside at the Cuddly Dominion, located conveniently in Aso, our last destination!
Cuddly Dominion
Pan Kun and James
We stood in a very long line and waited 45 minutes to get into the Miyazawa show, starring Pan-kun himself! I don't have any pictures from the show, no one is allowed and they announced if anyone even tries to take one they'd stop the show in mid-performance. But for $10 everyone can have their picture with Pan-kun after the show. The rules were strict though, no looking the chimpanzee in the eyes or touching him (to a chimpanzee this is considered aggressive), and we had 5 seconds to hop in and out of the chairs set up for us so the family behind us could hop in and out in just as much time! This is a picture OF the $10 picture!
Pan-kun
Pan-kun, being the star, was the only one present during the photo shoot, but darnit! I had gone to meet James, and I was at least going to try. I made Ken wait with me until everyone had left the theater, then I explained I was James' biggest fan and would it be possible to meet him? His trainer was kind enough to bring him out so I could say hi! I was happier in that moment than I have been in a long, long time!
yay, it's James!
We finished off our day with a performance by a bike-riding bear!
bicycle bear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!!
I've just watched your By any chance...Are you a photograher?
Your photos are really amazing!!
especially, Takachiho gorge is the best!!
and James too.
Your smile is very beautiful.
James is quite big rather than TV.
I didn't think that.
Your travels made me want to go out somewhere.
PS:Thank you! Thank You! for your comment to my blog!! I'm so happy!

Anonymous said...

good god. how did i not know about this!