Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Paradise Found

We were up at 6am to catch a 6:30 bus into the city, heading for the 8:10 ferry bound for Goto, a chain of 5 islands off the west coast of Nagasaki. The morning air was fresh and cool, a welcome change from the searing daytime temperatures. Nagasaki looked beautiful as it faded into the distance.
CIMG8917
I found many things to ponder early on a Sunday morning.
CIMG8928
That would be Megami Ohashi in the background.
CIMG8934
After getting our rental car we were determined to hit the beach. First stop, Kojushi Beach just South of the city. Ken stopped along the way to check out the shed cicada skins lying around
IMG_0121
Just a little further...
IMG_0124
Ahhh, there we go!
CIMG8944
Lunch was somen, which we had to catch as it flowed around its donut-shaped pool
IMG_0134
After a quick shower and a cup of shaved ice, it was driving time. We pulled over along the way to check out the awesome Mt. Oni, luscious and green
IMG_0143
The scenery to the left of the mountain was just as breathtaking
CIMG8950
We got back in the car, and went in search of the Abunze Lava Coastline. We discovered a little park snuggled between the lava rocks and the lookout platform, and guarded by a fierce little long-haired dachsund!
CIMG8958
To the east, Abunze lava rocks
IMG_0147
To the north, Mt. Oni
CIMG8964
To the front, the travelling bums
IMG_0156
To complete our journey, we headed for Osezaki Lighthouse on the southwest side of the island. Little did I know I wouldn't be able to actually walk up to the lighthouse...
IMG_0166
The cliffs in the opposite direction stretched out into the sea
IMG_0169
After a long day of driving it was time for some real showers, a copious amount of food, and a good night's sleep! On Monday we woke up just in time to check out. First stop? Another beach! Takahama Beach is the most famous beach in Goto, even making it into the top 100 beaches in Japan.
CIMG8981
CIMG8988
Well, it may look amazing from afar, but up close it's just a giant mess. The water at Takahama Beach is actually quite shallow, and by early evening the tide recedes by at least half a kilometer. I can only assume that at this point people go there to shoot off fireworks, have picnics, and cause general mischief, leaving behind mounds of garbage which is swept out into the shallows as the tide rolls back in in early morning. I was able to swim in this filth for only a short time before calling it quits. About to declare my Monday ruined, I opted for the beach around the corner. On the other side of the hill was another beach, Tontomari. I figured it was either just as filthy, and if I was going float around in waste I might as well get another beach in. Or it might be just far enough away to be unaffected by the late-night revelers. We packed up, hopped in our rental car, and drove around the bend. To my delight the beach was practically deserted, completely unspoilt, and more beautiful than anything I'd ever seen!
CIMG9001
To the east, spectacular tree-covered mountains
CIMG8989
The beach house was very cozy!
CIMG8994
We snorkeled and saw fish, a sting ray, and a jellyfish!
IMG_0180
By the time we left, the water here too had begun to flow back out to sea. For some reason, though, Tontomari remains pristine!
IMG_0182
To top off the trip, we decided to get up close and personal with Mt. Oni. Originally we were just driving to the top since we only had 45 minutes to get the car back. But once there we decided to go for it and hike to the first peak!
The view from the top, looking down at the lookout deck
CIMG9002
The sky was everywhere
IMG_0194
My victory pose after hiking 7 minutes straight up the hillside on the hottest of all hot days!
IMG_0197
It sure felt good to come back down!
CIMG9006
We made it all the way up there! Okay, so it's not THAT far. But in Kyushu summer heat it sure feels far!
CIMG9007
Goto was truly incredible, I can't wait to go back. I sadly watched its retreat from the ferry, but only for a short time. I soon went back to my cabin and crashed!
CIMG9015

No comments: