Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 27, 2011

Hoo, boy. Here we go. Let's see if I can keep up this time!

Latest adventure. I have lived in this little town near Nagasaki for some time now, and finally got around to visiting its most famous park. The giant, red steel slide had always grabbed my curiosity. From a distance it looked like some kind of alien vehicle. It's actually just a very crazily designed slide for kids, though quite high. When it opens later this spring I wonder if I'll have the guts to ride it.

The weather was just too gorgeous one day after work. Ken picked me up at the local train station, and we headed straight for the park with a can of tomato garlic chips and some green tea. The Japanese love their odd-flavored food products.

Upon crossing the funky steel bridge with alien slide, we encountered rainbow polka-dot animals. Well, what else would one do when presented with this kind of opportunity?

There were also some very fun animal tiles I had no idea were there. Once you get a little higher you can see them in their full splendor!








We continued on past the menagerie of animal dedications and found a little grove of just-blossoming plum and cherry trees. Oh, yeah. We had found spring.












Even more beautiful, though, was the sun-filtered bamboo forest waiting for us at the top of the hill, to the back of the park. It's times like that I wish I had gone adventuring sooner. I wanted to stare at it for the remainder of the waning sunlight.





And then, what came next was breathtaking. Sunset!!!
When I get frustrated with being so far away from my family and friends, this park will do the trick of reminding me, WHOA, I LIVE HERE!


And so, it was time to go home. One last frolic with a new set of rainbow polk-a-dot animals, and we called it a day. New park, good scenery, little refresher.






No comments: