Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hong Kong

I left Hong Kong well over a week ago, but it's taken me this long to settle in and find the time (and a computer with which) to update! So here's Hong Kong, in all it's poorly photographed glory!


Might as well start right off with the HK skyline. It's awesome, definitely the best skyline I've ever seen (though I haven't seen that many). This was taken from Kowloon, across from the business district where all the skyscrapers are. The incredible thing was that most of the skycrapers were programmed into a music and light show, so that buildings turned different colors in time with the music. There were even green laser beams atop some of the buildings, shooting streaks of light across the sky! Fabulous!


James took this one for me with my camera


Not only did I get to see my first double decker EVER, I got to ride one four times!



Lan Kwai James2
We hit the beer festival in Lan Kwai Fong on Saturday night. All sorts of beer vendors lined the slopes of the little side streets through this party district. I don't care for beer, but it was still a blast...until a sudden downpour sent everyone scrambling for cover! (pic of me courtesy of James)


After hopping the ferry back to Kowloon, we tracked down the Spider Pub. A not so quiet little side-street bar with 3 dead spiders in their window! We played numerous rounds of Dai Wa Si, or Liar's Dice. I liked it so much I'm throwing a Chinese dice party here in the near future! Then I had Michelle, the very cute bargirl, sign me up to sing Eternal Flame by the Bangles on the karaoke machine. James didn't know it, but I signed him up for the Titanic theme song as well, which was hilarious! (dice pic courtesy of James)

James Dion
Diva James Dion! I thought I'd spare James the embarrassment of posting the Celine Dion karaoke pic, but what's better in life than those shameful hard-to-forget Celine Dion moments? You belt it, boy!

with Michelle at Spider Pub
Michelle, the very cute bargirl with the adorable giraffe shirt! She taught us how to play Dai Wa Si.


Sunday afternoon we headed up to Victoria Peak, or "The Peak." This place is extremely popular with the tourists. A great place to get a different view of the skyline and a nice view of Victoria Bay.


It was a bit windy on the peak. Thanks to James for this one too!


We hung out on the peak waiting for the sun to go down to get the night shot! I didn't use a tripod, unlike the previous night, so my night shots from the peak turned out pretty shoddy.


More me, with the nightline

Waiting for the double decker to take us back to the ferry port



The Temple Street Night Market in Jordan. At least this time there were no snakes!
Temple Street Night Market

1 comment:

cath said...

Looks like you had a fantastic time Shannon. I wanna learn the dice game! I hope you are settling back in ok. Are you in Canada now????