Sunday, July 29, 2007

Boryeung Mud Festival

I've taken more pictures in the last 2 weeks than I've taken in the last 2 months! So I'm going to be posting a bajillion pictures this week! Two weekends ago I went to the Boryeung Mud Festival at Daechon Beach. It's been voted the best national festival two years in a row by the Ministry of Tourism. It was good fun, minus the throngs of drunk white people and tremendous globs of trash floating in the sea. I swam just for about 20 minutes, and couldn't bring myself to go in again after that. Just too filthy.
Daechon is very touristy, with hotels and restaurants and neon lights lining the streets.
IMG_4729
IMG_4733
IMG_4738
Yes, the "mud" part of mud festival is significant. The Mud from Boryeung is very famous. For two weeks in July people from all over the country come to cake themselves in it. It's supposed to be great for your skin and make you look younger.
Some muddy Korean boys and those darn drunk foreigners demonstrate:
Mud Festival 2
more muddy people
Festivities include live music throughout the day, mud tug-of-war, and mud pools and slides
IMG_4739
IMG_4768
IMG_4767
in the mud pool
Mud Festival
In the evening we struggled to find food, since most restaurants offered seafood
IMG_4758
IMG_4759
IMG_4762
IMG_4763
Of course the coolest foreigners there were Liam, Naheen, and I!
muddy trio
Naheen and I cleaned up quite nicely!
muddy friends
at Daechon beach

1 comment:

Catherine McMullen said...

Mud! What fun! There should be a mud booth at the Sweet Pea festival in Bozeman.