Last weekend was my big Dollar Store hunt. I searched all over the city for the infamous, almost mythical Daiso (the dollar store), but to no avail. Yesterday I decided I was going to try again! This time I had pinpointed the neighborhood, all I needed was to find the building. I went to the first building, Doota, and asked the info girls where Migliore was, the supposed home of Daiso. Then I went to Migliore, where I got a good view of the city from the 9th floor, but no dollar store. I tried apM, the building next door. Still no dollar store. I was beginning to feel like Indiana Jones. I retraced my steps to Doota, and told the info girls of the mythical Daiso.
They said, "Sure, it's on the 7th floor."
Me: "Of this building?"
Nice info girl: "Yes."
Me: "For real?"
Nice info girl: "That's right."
Finally! I had found it. I spent an entire hour there, just happy and enveloped in the atmosphere of cheap household goods!
To make a long story short, here are some shots from 3-building adventure in Dongdaemun!
Migliore and the street vendors outside of Doota

Arial view of Dongdaemun

2 stadiums side by side, one for parking and one for baseball

Indiana Shannon, the dollar store hunter

Myeong-dong, a bit further along the subway line and my favorite district in Seoul so far. It reminds me of Tenjin in Fukuoka!
4 comments:
It sounds like things are looking up, apart from the screaming children. What do people say about things like that? Oh yes, it's character building. I'm sure this is all very character building for you. Personally, I'm not sure whether living below the loudest guys on campus for two years and having my plants commit suicide out the window on a daily basis because of the bass was character building for me, but hey, it's something to cling to.
Was Tengin the fancy shopping district by the canal? I can't remember...
Did Doota have a movie theatre on the top floor? Because I was in that district waaaaay back when we were in S.K. -- I remember the stadium. Anyway, one of the shopping buildings around there was where I went to the top and watched "Billy Elliot."
Ah, to remember crowded, dirty, stuffy Seoul. Apparently, and sadly, it appears to have been long enough since I was there -- because your pictures make it look pretty cool! I think you have a devil camera!
I remember that area of Seoul...fun area. And where it the world did you take keith, Nakasu? What were you guys up to?
Where DID I take him indeed! You shall never know, bwa ha ha ha...
Post a Comment